Join the Library
- It is free to join the library if you live in Taranaki or if you own property here.
- If you live outside Taranaki you can get a visitor card for three months. A visitor card costs $20 and you can borrow five items at a time.
How do I join?
- Sign up online for temporary membership. You can access our digital library straight away! Then visit one of our libraries within two weeks to complete your registration.
- Visit one of our libraries and sign up in person.
What identification do I need to bring with me?
We need to see two forms of identification.
- One form of photo ID needs to have your full name and signature on it e.g. driver's licence.
- One needs to should show your name and address e.g. bank statement or phone bill. Not older than three months.
If you are applying for visitor membership we need to have contact address details in Taranaki and in your hometown, as well as signature/photo ID.
If you are under 18 years old a parent or guardian must sign your card. They will need ID as noted above.
- You can borrow up to 40 physical items on your card at one time.
- You can borrow ten eBooks or eAudiobooks on ePukaPuka (Libby).
- You can borrow four eBooks or eAudiobooks on Bolinda.
- Books and audiobooks are issued for four weeks.
- Bestseller books are issued for two weeks.
- DVDs and magazines are issued for one week (some box-set DVDs are issued for longer).
- eBooks and eAudiobooks are issued for two weeks.
Renewing and Reserving Items
You can renew books online, at any library or over the phone (06 759 6060). You can renew books twice, providing no other user has reserved them and they are not overdue.
You can reserve an item online through the catalogue, by going into your library account or over the phone (06 759 6060). A $1.50 charge applies to all holds requested on an adult card (reserves are free for children). When your item is ready to collect we will contact you by email, text message or post.
How do I reserve an item online?
- Find the item in the catalogue.
- Click on Place Hold.
- Log in to your user account and confirm that you would like to reserve the item.
Returns and Overdue Items
You can return any item to any of our libraries, even if they were not borrowed from that particular branch. There is also a returns box in the Puke Ariki Museum car park on St Aubyn Street.
We can email or text message you know when you have items due back. If you would like alerts added to your card please come in and see one of our friendly staff, phone us (06 759 6060) or complete the contact us form.
If items are not returned on time you will be charged overdue fines. You can pay overdue fines at your local library.
Fees and Charges
Library membership is free for all residents and property owners in Taranaki. However we do charge for overdues and some services:
Best seller books (per fortnight) $6.00
DVDs either $5.00 or $2.00 (per week)
$1.50 (free for under 18 cardholders)
Overdue Charges (per day)
Best sellers/DVDs $1.50
Maximum charge (per item) $16.00
Young People (under 18)
Maximum charge (per item) $16.00
Lost item charges
Cost and age determined. There is a minimum $10 charge.
Photocopying/Printing (per page)
A4 black and white $0.20
A3 black and white $0.50
A4 colour $1.00
A3 colour $2.00
Photocopiers can be used to scan for free. Please bring a usb with you.
Replacement Library Card
Interloans (per item)
Items from other institutions $5.00 - $22.00
Urgent document supply charge
Actual associated costs
If you do not reside or own property within Taranaki you can join the library for a $20.00 charge every 3 months. This lets you borrow up to 5 items at any one time. Normal charges and overdue fees apply.
Fiction books $1.00
Non-Fiction books $2.00
Paperback Fiction/Magazines 50 cents each
Children's books free
Reusable library bags $7.00
Available through the Taranaki Research Centre. The first 15 minutes is free then $20 per 15 minutes thereafter.
Was this page useful?