Interested in computer design but not sure where to start? Or experienced with design but don't have the equipment you need? Our design lab can help you on your design journey.
The Design Lab is located on the ground floor of Puke Ariki Library. It has five PCs loaded up with design software including Tinkercad for 3D design, and video and audio editing programmes. We also have two 3D printers available to print your designs for a small charge.
3D printing can be used to make a wide range of items, you can design and print decorative items, handy holders, replacement parts and so much more.
If you're looking for ideas check out Thingiverse, it has lots of designs that you can browse, download and print.
Our 3D printers are available to print your designs. You can email us a file of the item you would like printed and we will QA it then print it for you. We will let you know when it is ready for collection as even small items take a while to print!
File type: .stl
3D Printing Fees and Charges
FDM Standard Print PLA
$0.20/g plus $2.00 setup fee
FDM Tough Print PLA
$0.30/g plus $2.00 setup fee
Water washable resin – grey
$0.20/ml plus $4.00 setup/cleaning fee
3D Printing Important Information
- 3D printing can be used to make a wide range of items, you can design and print decorative items, replacement parts and so much more. If you're stuck for ideas check out Thingiverse, it has lots of designs that you can browse, download, and print. Alternatively, you can have a go at designing and creating something yourself on Tinkercad.
- Printing is available Monday to Friday and will usually be completed within 7 working days.
- Files must be no more than 25mb and submitted in STL format along with any printing requirements. Files can be submitted either by email attachment sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Maximum printing time for FDM printing is 8 hours and 6 hours for resin printing.
- Once submitted the files will be inspected by staff and we will email you a cost estimate before we proceed with printing. The total cost includes any raft and supports used during the print.
- Removal of supports, rafts etc. is the responsibility of the customer.
- We are unable to print objects intended for use with food.
- We are unable to print objects such as guns and knives and other prohibited items.
- We are unable to print objects that are copyright protected.
- We reserve the right to refuse any print request.
- Staff will use best endeavours to help make your print successful – however staff will not take responsibility for an unsuccessful print.